While most would definitely admit to hating it, one of the most important things gun owners are required to do is keep up with all the different gun laws and restrictions that are passed in California. Doing so ensures legal protections for lawful citizens and arms owners, and greater safety for all. So, what are the new gun restrictions in California for 2020? We’re so glad you asked!
New Gun Restrictions For 2020
- Under Assembly Bill 12, any person who has a gun-violence restraining order shall now be prohibited from purchasing any firearms for up to five years. This bill is active as of September 1st, 2020.
- Under Assembly Bill 61, teachers, employees, employers, or coworkers can now seek gun-violence restraining orders from the court that enable police forces to revoke firearms permissions from those who are making threats. This bill is in effect as of September 1st, 2020.
- Under Assembly Bill 164, no one who is banned from purchasing firearms in another state can legally purchase any guns in California as of January 1st, 2020.
- Under Assembly Bill 339, all law enforcement agencies in California are required to establish and embrace written policies outlining the specific standards of the use of gun-violence restraining orders no later than January 1st, 2021.
- Under Assembly Bill 645, all gun packages in all gun stores across the state of California are required to have suicide warning labels by June 1st, 2020. It is also required that the topic be addressed on all handgun safety certificate tests as of this date as well.
- Under Assembly Bill 879, various gun “precursor” parts will now only be available for sale through licensed vendors. Provisions will begin 2023-2025.
- Under Assembly Bill 893, the Del Mar Fairgrounds will no longer be authorized to sell any firearms or ammunition after January 1st, 2021.
- Under Assembly Bill 1297, there will no longer be a $100 cap on concealed firearm license processing fees. As of January 1st, 2020, county sheriffs will instead charge amounts “equal to the actual costs for processing the application.”
- Under Assembly Bill 1493, after September 1st, 2020, those with gun-violence restraining orders in place against them will have the opportunity to fill out a form preemptively declaring their willingness and compliance to relinquish their firearms.
- Under Assembly Bill 1548, nonprofit organizations “that are at high risk of terrorist attack due to ideology, beliefs, or mission,” including churches, mosques, synagogues, and other religious establishments, can now apply for state grants worth up to $200,000 to be used for additional security. Funds will be dispersed through the newly established State Nonprofit Security Grant Program, and will hopefully help prevent any other mass tragedies from occurring in the future.
- Under Assembly Bill 1669, gun show regulations will now apply to ammunition vendors according to updates to California’s official legal code, and state fees for firearms purchases will be raised to $38.19. All of this begins January 1st, 2020.
- Under Senate Bill 61, persons under the age of 21 will no longer be eligible to purchase semiautomatic center-fire rifles after January 1st, 2020. Furthermore, Californian’s who are eligible will only be able to purchase one every 30 days beginning July 1st, 2021.
- Under Senate Bill 172, not only will nursing homes now be required to comply with newly set gun storage standards, owners of any unlocked guns taken out of a home by any child or “prohibited person” can now be charged and punished, which will include a 10-year gun ownership ban.
- Under Senate Bill 376, gun sellers without proper firearms dealer licensing will be required to limit their number of transactions to only six per year after January 1st, 2020. Also, the number of firearms sold within those six transactions throughout the year must not exceed a total of 50.
Have more questions about your rights as a gun owner, or really anything to do with any weapons, ammunition, or accessories? Get in touch with Traders Loan and Jewelry today! To get your pawning adventure started, come visit us today at 18505 Sherman Way Reseda, CA 91335, call 818.345.8696 , or simply fill out the form on our contact page if you have any questions.